Friday 26 January 2024

Kayaking Studley Park January 2021

 

Maiden Voyage


Unlike the summer in Melbourne we experiencing  right now, coolish rainy days with odd hot day thrown in,  early 2021 was consistent  with warm hot days followed by balmy nights just how I like it.

Was bored one day sitting at home , too warm for cycling or hiking have watched a lot of people using stand up paddle boards and kayaks but wanted something I can store away in the cupboard and throw in the back of the car without the hassle of roof racks etc... 

So i googled and found this inflatable kayak in stock at BCF ( a bogans paradise for fishing hunting   etc.._.) "Boating Camping Fishing"

Anyway  quick ring around and the Maribyrnong store had one in stock so jumped in the car to go collect. Did a practice run on inflating it at home making sure I don't look like a clown in front of passers by at the river or even worse sink.

My housemates were impressed also with this inflatable vessel, after a successful test run I packed it up and hurried down to Studley Park on the Yarra to launch on its maiden voyage



Was early afternoon on a Saturday people were out in droves, picnicking , smell of cheap Bunnings sausages cooking on the barbi made me hungry and a few out on the water kayaking and stand up paddling.

Launched with no drama just was awkward hoping into the cockpit from launch pad , I tried to hide my awkwardness balancing act on one leg and the other foot on the seat kayak, but managed to get my arse on the seat without capsizing it, imagine that!

I paddled up stream with my boom speaker blaring out Chilli Peppers greatest hits , recorded myself on Strava app to see how many kms I would cover, I did a 180 and headed down river for Dight Falls and check it out from the water instead of the usual from the sidelines.

I got within 50 meters of the falls the force of the water started pulling me down at a rapid pace, I crapped my pants for a second and quickly turned around and got out of there.

Headed back to where I launched, deflated and headed home covered approx 2 kms, was a great afternoon and good purchase , have just recently ripped it out of storage after 3 years and using it on the odd warm day.


Back out after 3 years

Some Lotus leaves of some variety at Aura Vale Lake





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mt Nelse September 2023

The 2023 Australian snow season in particular Victoria was below average with ski resorts closing weeks ahead of usual end times. I had mana...