Friday 26 January 2024

Winter Sunrise July 2022






After spending half the year sitting on the beach sipping on Chang beer in Thailand, I was back in Melbourne for a visa update I had a short window of opportunity to fit in a snowshoe hike to Victoria second highest mountain Mt Feathertop.
Forecast was looking great crisp blue skies no wind so jumped in the car and headed up for a quick overnighter and a welcome home sunrise.

Its a straight forward hike up Bungalow Spur well maintained so there is no getting lost nonsense or losing the track unless your name is Stevie Wonder.
Its approx 12 kms from the bottom to summit of Feathertop, a lot of badass backcountry skiers make the pilgrimage up for some untouched back country turns, avoiding the over crowded resorts and expensive lift price tickets, 
 
After pitching my blue Macpac Minaret tent on a knoll overlooking the razorback and southern slopes of Feathertop I headed for a stroll up Little Feathertop where best views in the house are in my opinion.








Little Feathertop looking west sunset


Was hoping to get a killer sunset from Little Feathertop as seen above from a previous trip circa '16

but oh well next time, I stomped back to my my tent on the knoll and tucked into dinner in the fading light and settled in for the night. And one thing to confess here is I was too lazy to prepare my usual dinners of stirfry veg or pastas I elected by lowering myself to buy one of those pre dehydrated meals in a bag you add water to and self cooks into prison slop and looks like a post bing drink vomit. I did regret it after each mouthful.

View south of razorback

Northwards- Little Feathertop top left with Feathertop middle back


Morning arrived with a stunner sunrise and a hot tea to take it in perfect!

I packed up shortly after and started the long descent to the car and long drive back to Melbourne.






Yep got my hat on wrong way












No comments:

Post a Comment

Mt Nelse September 2023

The 2023 Australian snow season in particular Victoria was below average with ski resorts closing weeks ahead of usual end times. I had mana...