Friday 26 January 2024

Strath Creek Diggers Gully Circuit Day Walk - September 2023

 

Strath Falls where you cross & head up the the spur to the left

DELWP do not recommend this walk as it is is both remote and dangerous. Search and Rescue Police have requested that this trail be closed due to the numerous rescue operations to extract (at tax payers expense) inexperienced hikers who have either been injured or lost on the hike. As with all hikes, you need to ensure that you have the necessary gear, navigation skills and the experience to navigate the trail and return safety under your own steam. If you are uncertain about any hike then do not undertake it and never overestimate your abilities.


Ignoring all the above warnings I jumped in my trusty VW van and set out to Mt Disappointment State Forest, was a coolish morning with forecast tops in the late teens with partly cloud cover I thought perfect hiking weather. My VW van had almost disappointed the day , power cut out forcing me to pull over and restart the engine as there is a glitch with one of the sensors causing the turbo to switch off , has happened a hand full of time now , restarting it always fixes the turbo but this morning it killed my battery, I waved down a passing car and surprisingly stopped and had jumper leads to get me going again phew! An older couple heading back to Wagga Wagga after spending the weekend in Melbourne for a wedding thanks for saving my day!

I arrived at the car park which sits a few hundred meters from the falls lookout point.

Strapped my day pack on and off I walked down to the fenced lookout, ignoring the recommendation by DELWP sorry to disappoint you.....  I walked down the gully passed a gap thru the fence and picked my line down the vertical drop to the top of Strath Falls. This circuit is part off trail and intersects some 4wd trails so a bit of a mix bag.


Top of Strath Falls


After crossing the creek I heading east up the ridge, was expecting the walk up the spur to be more dense bush but was somewhat not an ordeal as expected,  I got about 700 meters to the top and popped out onto a 4wd trail and chucked a lefty and followed it for about 3ish kms, am not a fan of walking 4wd trails so the 3kms was little tedious but was happy to reach the point after checking the handy gps app "Terra Map" that the road bash would finish and I will head down hill off trail again to Diggers Gully 

The hike down was steep and steep and at one point I was bum sliding on loose rock as it was too sketchy to try and do a fast action Bear Grylls style slide on one leg to another, sorry mate not today, no energy I didn't drink the blood from the dead kangaroo i saw earlier.  Finally I reached Diggers Gully beautiful spot for a snack and break.


Diggers Gully Creek

Enroute to Diggers Gully

After a snack I zig zagged my way across the creek and sometimes walking along the sides the walking was great to the sound of the creek trickling away , after about 3 kms I reached a dead end and ascended up a spur which intersects back on the 4wd trail.  Was feeling a little tired but happy with the walk so far, dark clouds rolled in and started to rain, was deciding wether to continue on with the route or just call it a day and walk back on the 4wd trail the quick way back to the car, or head into the gully of Strath creek and head upstream to the falls back to car.

I called it a day and figure ill come back another day and complete it, a great day walk by the way did not DISAPPOINT..







No comments:

Post a Comment

Mt Nelse September 2023

The 2023 Australian snow season in particular Victoria was below average with ski resorts closing weeks ahead of usual end times. I had mana...